Sunday, May 28, 2006

2006 Race Season v2.0

It’s the end of an era.

Ok, I guess two race weekends followed by a resounding “screw this,” isn’t exactly an era, but still…the R6 is gone, and my foray into the C Novice classes is officially over. At first I felt defeated and weak, like a scared little leaguer who quit the team when faced with the daunting prospect of actually playing. While there is an element of that in the reality of my course of action, for me it really boils down to one simple idea…this is supposed to be fun.

I’m in no danger of making money at this racing thing, nor do a have delusions of glorious victories in WERA’s most competitive classes. I race because it’s fun. If I’m not having fun, it’s dumb to continue, which means  that I had a choice: quit racing, or figure out how to have fun again with racing, and do what it takes to make it so. Bye bye meat grinder, hello heavyweight twins!

As I type this, there is a 2002 Suzuki TL1000R in my garage, courtesy of a generous leasing arrangement with my good friend Jason Coleman. I’ve raced this bike before, and it is supremely fun to ride. More importantly, the classes I’ll be racing are fun to ride in. Wahoo…or something.

The TL is in dry-dock right now, and over the next week or two it will be getting some basic maintenance done, and of course, it will be getting the Fasttrack Motorsports graphics treatment before it breaks cover in a few weeks at Talladega.

See you there!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home